As the Richest Get Richer, Poor Begin to Consider Their Options

People have a huge problem with the influence of the wealthy over the rest of the world, new polling suggests. Of those surveyed, 41% said they feared wealth inequality would lead to rising levels of corruption and 43% said what they feared was the “super-rich enjoying unfair influence on government policy.”

World leaders are being warned that the continued accumulation of wealth at the top will fuel growing distrust and anger over the coming decade unless action is taken.

For the last decade the wealth of the richest 1% has been growing at twice the rate of the other 99% of the world. When asked to pick who would have the most power in 2030, most people said the super-rich.

Analysts suggest wealth has become concentrated at the top because of how much wealthy people own and the incredibly disproportionate power this affords them over the world. Providing them with more opportunities to increase their wealth and limit the wealth and power of everyone else.



Image: “2011 08 07 Planet Monrepos – Geisenheim” by Mark Strobl is licensed under CC BY 2.0